Imagine: Finnish Lapland
Winter night, snow, -30C
Do you still want to hunt for the Northern Lights?
There is an alternative way of Northern lights hunting! Welcome to GLASS IGLOO FINLAND
Glass igloo is a kind comfortable accommodation, warm and with panorama view of the sky, specially designed to see the Northern Lights. We will tell step by step about Glass igloos in Finland.
GLASS IGLOO TYPES
Traditional - Classical
Classic Glass Igloo is a little round-shape
cabin completely built from insulated thermal glass. The roof of the igloo is made from electrically heated glass. Roof stays snow and ice free to give perfect view to the sky.
They are quite small, 18-23 sq.m..
On this compact area there are usually 2 separate beds, possible to make as double bed. Beds can be motorised, allowing to adjust comfortable position if there are Northern Lights overhead and you want to stay at your bed. Some chairs and table available.
Usually igloos are for 2 persons
, but extra beds also can be provided.
Classical igloos has wc at least. Shared showers and saunas at separate service building, with separate facilities for men and women. Other has little shower inside the igloo making it much more comfortable in winter nights and chilly mornings. Check what kind of basic facilities are at the igloo you are going to book not to be surprised when you check in.
Some variations have also kitchenette with water kettle, coffee-maker, fridge and maybe electric plate.
If breakfast included into the standard Igloo, it may be packed and left at the igloos fridge.
Also family variations of igloos are available for 4 persons at some resorts like Kakslauttanen and it is upgraded with shower.
Modern and Luxury Glass Igloos
This type of igloo accommodation recently appeared as demand is growing and it is not as classical igloos, but the idea if the same – as much glass as possible
, open sky and panorama views, and adorable location.
Luxury glass igloos may have different size and shapes. Some of them have 2 levels with glass roof on upped floor.
All facilities like wc and shower
are inside. Private sauna also included as real Finnish experience. Little kitchenette has its place inside the igloo/apartment.
Outdoors hot tube-whirlpool as an extra piece of luxury at SnowMan World Glass resort
apartments. Just imagine going outside after Finnish sauna, relaxing at warm whirlpool while watching the starry sky.
There is also unique option "2 in 1" – Kelo-Glass igloo at Kakslauttanen
. It combines Lapland Kelo-log
cabin with fireplace, sauna, kitchen, wc and shower as well as bedroom with glass dome
shaped as real classical glass igloo.
There are also something in between classical igloos and luxury options - so-called Aurora cabins
It is a kind of combination: little cabin with glass roof above the bed
or a cubic shaped room with glass wall or glass corner.
They are designed to have great panorama view.
As a standard they have wc, shower inside. Little kitchenette or tea-coffee facilities might be included and of course bed on the best possible place to see the scenery and sky.
Unusual igloo style accommodation
As you might probably know, glass igloos are quite expensive, because mainly price is not for accommodation, but for experience and adventure.
If you are on a budget, there are still many options to try this unusual way of spending nights under the stars and open sky.
For example, Olokolo mobile sleeping nest
in Kemi or Lake Inari Mobile Cabins
Olokolo in Kemi is very tiny. You can only sit there or sleep. Toilets, showers and locker rooms are in the main building (open 24 hours). Nevertheless travellers call in as coolest place to stay in pod with transparent roof.
Another option is Lake Inari mobile cabin
. Cabins can be moved to the best places on the lake to see Northern lights. It is equipped with little toilet, heating, kettle. Electricity available while cabin is parked at base camp.
Showers, toilets, lounge, kitchen, wifi are available at base camp (shared).
Those above are mobile, can be moved somewhere on the lake if weather allows - unforgettable experience.
Another low-cost option, but still unique and comfortable, is Aurora Dome Torassieppi
It is lakeside dome, very similar with traditional designed igloos. It has wood burning stove to create some romantic and warmth. Shared sauna and washroom facilities available 50 metres away from Aurora Domes.
This kind of igloos are most suited for 1-2 nights because of the limited facilities inside. But if you are experience wilderness traveller, you can spend more time there.
Although those igloo options are very simple, they are located at some places or resorts with wide range of activities
available. So igloo itself is not the main reason why you should come there.
What about igloo comfort?
Do not be afraid of Lapland extremely low temperatures during winter inside a glass igloo. It is as warm as normal hotel room
. Majority of igloos are electrically heated and keep comfortable warmth inside. Mobile options has sleeping bags and furs.
Glass igloos also designed with privacy
keeping in mind. Some of them equipped with curtains, other with “frozen glass” and all of them usually facing some open space to provide amazing views.
Usually Igloo has a small wc, some also have shower. Luxury Igloos might have bathroom, kitchenette, and even private sauna.
Classical igloos fitted for 2 (max 4) persons
. But it is possible also to stay in more comfortable and spacious glass lodge with up to 6 sleeps (Kelo-Glass igloos Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort, for example).
Nowadays Glass Igloos are incredibly popular in Finland. New Igloo appear every year with glass cabins in many sizes, shapes and design.
WHERE GLASS IGLOOS IN FINLAND ARE LOCATED?
is the main destination where Igloos are concentrated.
The main 2 areas where are the majority of igloos are located: Rovaniemi and Saariselka/Ivalo/Inari
First was Kakslauttanen Igloo resort and as it became very popular, the resort has built another part of it and now there are East village and West (new) Village.
As soon as this destination became very popular among travellers, some other igloo resorts have been built recently:
- Northern Lights Village
- Muotka Igloos
- Aurora Village Ivalo
- Nellim Igloos
Another place is Rovaniemi, of course. Due to Santa Village, Polar Circle it is the world known place and main place to visit in Lapland during Christmas and New year time.
There are following igloo resorts located:
- Arctic Glass Igloos
- Santa's Igloos Arctic Circle
- Arctic Tree House Hotel
- Snowman World Glass Resort
Then comes Levi winter resort
with classic Golden Crown Levin Iglut top of the fell and 360 panorama view. The location is one of a kind.
Glass igloo resorts at Levi:
- Golden Crown Levin Iglut
- Northern Lights Huts
All those places offer much more then just igloo stays. You can choose one of them with more easier transport accessibility for you and be sure to find all kind of Lapland activities there.
# OTHER IGLOO DESTINATIONS
Next coming other igloo destinations. There are mainly 1 igloo resort for the area, but still possibility to have some of the Lapland activities around and interesting places to visit:
- Olokolo mobile nest and Seaside Glass Villa in Kemi.
Places of interest: Snow Castle, Snow Chapel, Snow Hotel. Unique cruise at Icebreaker Sampo.
- Lapland Igloo in Ranua.
Places of interest: Ranua Wildlife Park in Lapland.
- Iisakki Glass Village in Ruka.
Places of interest: Ruka winter resort and all kind of Lapland activities and safaris.
- Aurora Dome Torassieppi. Places of interest: next to the Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park. Nature friendly activities, experience the wilderness.
All igloo resorts has similar or equal possibilities to see the Northern Lights.
There are other factors then location within Finland matter to see the Aurora.
Igloo resort might be in the middle of nowhere
. So be prepared to take some food, wine, books or pc with films, etc before you check in not to be disappointed during the evening time and night.
Remember, you are on an adventure and be ready to expect some thing a little different than the usual hotel.
# MAP AND LIST OF ALL GLASS IGLOOS IN FINLAND
- 1. Snowman World Glass igloo Resort apartment, Rovaniemi
- 2. Arctic Tree House Hotel, Rovaniemi
- 3. Northern Lights Village, Saariselka, Finland
- 4. Golden Crown Levin Iglut (Igloo)
- 5. Olokolo mobile sleeping nest, Kemi snow hotel
- 6. Santa's Igloos Arctic Circle, Rovaniemi
- 7. Muotka Igloos, Wilderness Aurora lodge
- 8. Aurora Village Ivalo
- 9. Lapland Igloo, Ranua
- 10. Lake Inari Mobile Cabins
- 11. Seaside Glass Villa, Kemi
- 12. Arctic Glass Igloos, Rovaniemi
- 13. Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort Igloos
- 14. Santa's Hotel Aurora Glass Igloos, Luosto
- 15. Nellim Igloos
- 16. Eagles View Suite. Hotel Iso-Syöte
- 17. Iisakki Glass Village
- 18. Aurora Dome
- 19. Northern Lights Huts
GLASS IGLOO PRICES
Glass igloo prices
differ considerably. It may be from 150€/night
for simple Aurora dome or Mobile cabin with shared facilities to up 690€/night
for Luxury glass Igloo.
Main factors affect the price:
- Comfort level. Simple remote igloo resorts offer cheaper prices while fully equipped igloos will be expensive. If you are ready to use shared facilities when staying at an igloo, you can save some money and spend it to some experience you can try only in Finnish Lapland.
- Location. Igloos at main destinations like Saariselka and Rovaniemi are more expensive then other less popular places and not so easily accessible.
- Rent time. Low season in Lapland is autumn to mid December, mid January-mid February, and then from end of March to December again. At this time it is possible to get best deals for rent. Christmas - New Year – Ski holidays is of high demand and prices can be 30-100% higher during peak seasons.
Tip: Check for Last Minute Igloo deals! It can be quite surprising with price discounts up to 50%!
- Popularity and promotion of the resort. Naturally more promoted and well know resorts will have higher prices (like Kakslauttanen, everything close to Santa village). Do not be afraid to stay at less popular places. Usually they are family run with very personal approach to the customers and perfect service trying to make their guest happy and leave memorable impression. Some of them has advantages like Northern Lights Village, where staff if experts in Northern Lights and make guided Aurora programs. Also this resort has own husky, reindeer paddock and sliding hill for kids.
CHANCES TO SEE THE NORTHERN LIGHTS FROM AN IGLOO
Chances to see the Aurora
are the same whatever igloo resort you choose.
There are more factors affect the opportunity to see it and well-done planning will help you.
Read more about Northern Lights in Lapland
and some tools helping with it HERE > > >
Seeing the Northern Lights is not in your control. Be sure that you are in one of the best places
to see it. Just plan to have Northern lights as 1 of the activities at your Lapland list (not the first) not to be disappointed if you do not see it.
Here is a list of ALL GLASS IGLOO RESORTS IN FINLAND > > >
WHAT TOP TRAVEL BLOGGERS SAY ABOUT GLASS IGLOOS IN FINAND:
1. Bruised Passports Blog. Post: Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort – Truly ‘Once-in-a-lifetime’
2. We Are Travel Girls Blog. Post: 5 day Arctic adventure itinerary in Lapland, Finland
3. Zeeba Life Blog. Post: All You Need To Know Before Visiting Kakslauttanen Artic Resort
4. Journey Wonders Blog. Post: Kakslauttanen Glass Igloos: Are They Worth The Money?
TRAVEL BLOGGERS IGLOO VLOGS:
1. Meet The Vloggers. Video: KAKSLAUTTANEN RESORT DAY 2 - IGLOO HOUSE TOUR!
2. Sheila Simkin. Video: A Kakslauttanen Glass Igloo in Finnish, Lapland
3. Trajano Leme Filho. Video: Hotel dos Iglus - Kakslauttanen (Igloo Village) - Finlândia
4. Carly Rowena. Video: KAKSLAUTTANEN IGLOO RESORT TRAVEL VLOG | FINLAND!
5. Chloe Miles. Video: Travel Vlog | Staying in a Glass Igloo at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort
Follow us on Facebook
to be updated about Lapland!